Saturday, August 05, 2006

Draft UN resolution on Israel-Hezbollah

Here are the details of what is known so far.
The United States and France agreed Saturday on a draft U.N. Security Council resolution that calls for a halt to the fighting between Israel and Lebanese Hezbollah guerrillas, but would allow Israel to defend itself if attacked.

The draft, sent to the entire Security Council for consideration, "calls for a full cessation of hostilities based upon, in particular, the immediate cessation by Hezbollah of all attacks and the immediate cessation by Israel of all offensive military operations."
Hezbollah has already rejected it as written.
[A] Hezbollah Cabinet minister said Shia guerrillas would not stop fighting until all Israeli troops leave Lebanon. The draft resolution makes no such demand.

"We (will) abide by it on condition that no Israeli soldier remains inside Lebanese land. If they stay, we will not abide by it," said Mohammed Fneish, one of two Hezbollah members of the government.
Meanwhile,
Prime Minister Ehud Olmert was to convene his seven-minister forum in Tel Aviv on Saturday evening to discuss the continuation of the Israel Defense Forces operation in Lebanon and the draft resolution. Government officials said initial response to the proposal was favorable, but Olmert's office declined to make any official comment.
I won't try to predict what the entire UNSC will do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home